Thursday, October 10, 2013

Setting Classroom Goals



How many of you work at a school where it is required to set and post classroom goals?  I don't know how many teachers in my school actually do so, but it is *supposedly* a requirement at my school.  I always do it, and I find it really helps my students.  They have a target to shoot for and they have a measuring stick by which to see their individual progress.  I have an overall goal for them, and they set goals for each of their unit tests.

I teach almost exclusively sophomores.  As they are high school students and able to do so as a class, I actually have the students set their own goals.  Now, I do tell them that my ultimate goal is for ALL of them to pass the end of course exam.

How do you get tenth graders to set realistic goals for their progress on unit tests?  I share the class's overall average score and the percentage of students who passed the previous test.  I give a pre-test during the first week of school and I use that to start off the goal-setting.  Then I ask them what they think a reasonable goal is for both the class average and percentage of students passing.  They are surprisingly hard on themselves and choose steep goals.  (At least they do that first time around!)

I then ask them what they would like for a reward if they make their goals, and I give them some options like a homework pass or extra bathroom pass (I only give them six a semester) or I offer to dress up in an embarrassing/silly costume.

Then, when they take their unit tests and I have them graded and the data collected, we review as a class and see if we made our goals.  If we did, then they get their reward and we set new goals for the next unit.  If we didn't, we reassess and try to figure out why and shoot for the goals next time.

My students don't question "Why are we doing this?" any more.  They seem more motivated and they even like to compete with other class periods so that they aren't the "lowest" class.  I post their goals on a board in the room for them to see and I bring up their goals often as a reminder of what they are working toward.

I had three classes want me to dress up this last time.  It was a hoot.  They loved that I followed through and looked ridiculous for them.  Some even took their pictures with me.  I'm sure there are now crazy photos of me all over Facebook.  I even, sadly, had some teachers giving me weird looks, shaking their heads, talking badly about what I was doing behind my back (they thought I wouldn't figure that out), and saying things to my face like "I would never do that," or "You're too nice."  Umm...it's called POSITIVE BEHAVIOR SUPPORT.  I am rewarding their GOOD behaviors.  That's what teachers do.  They MOTIVATE students in any and every way they can.  And dressing up like a ridiculous goofball is something I can do for FREE.  I am guessing some teachers are just jealous that I have the courage to be silly in front of my students.  But I'll tell you what, I have a great rapport with my kiddos and they love me and my silliness anyway.

                                                                
                                                                                 Clown/Caveman/Batman



Caveman

Rapper



What do you think about rewards for hitting class goals?  Would you dress up silly for your students?

2 comments:

  1. I just love your goal setting! I'm not uber creative about dressing up, but I could definitely find some motivating factors. I'm liking this post in Bloglovin' for an idea for next semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad someone else likes it! I was just a little offended by some of my colleagues this past week. Dressing up silly will not work for every class or every kid; I'm just trying to get my students excited about learning. Let me know when/if you start doing this. I'd love to hear how it goes!

      Delete